In this Section


Keeping an animal is an important responsibility.  To be a responsible owner it is important to be aware of the laws regarding keeping animals in your area, and to be mindful of the impact stock have on the environment.  The Western Australian Department of Agriculture and Food provides a wide range of advice and publications that will assist you in being a responsible keeper of livestock and pets.

Landowners should also be aware that Council approval is required for the keeping of animals in some Special Rural Areas under the Town Planning Scheme No 3.

Do I need Planning Approval to keep livestock?

Livestock includes, but is not limited to, horses, cows, sheep, llamas, alpacas and goats. If you’re wanting to keep livestock on your property, you’ll generally need Planning Approval. However, if your property is zoned “Rural” you won’t require Planning Approval – unless the property is a small component of a larger commercial business (e.g. horse riding school).