Shire of Toodyay

Council Elections

Council elections take place when a Councillor's term has expired and there is more than one candidate standing for the position. Local Government elections take place biannually in October.

A "Notice of Election" is published in the West Australian, Toodyay Herald and Avon Valley Advocate prior to an election. Postal and absent votes are also accepted.

Voting in Local Government elections is not compulsory however, Council encourages every Elector to have their say.

Electoral Roll

Avoid the disappointment of not being able to cast your vote at election time by ensuring that your name appears on the Electoral Roll. Most residents over the age of 18 years are eligible to be included on the roll. Please advise of any changes to your electoral roll status. If you are unsure if you are on the Shire of Toodyay electoral roll please contact the Shire Office.

Standing for Council

The Department of Local Government and Communities has produced more information to assist you in your decision to stand for Council as follows:

Standing For Council

Take a Stand - Why be a Councillor?

Fact Sheet 1 - An Introduction to Local Government

Fact Sheet 2 - The role of a Council Member

Fact Sheet 3 - Council Members responsibilities and rights

Fact Sheet 4 - Nominating to be a Council Member

Fact Sheet 5 - Rights and obligations in campaigning

Fact Sheet 6 - Running an election campaign

Fact Sheet 7 - conduct of local government elections

Fact Sheet 8 - what happens when you become a Council Member 

Nomination Requirements

Candidates are required to lodge with the returning Officer:

  • A completed nomination in the prescribed form, signed and witnessed,
  • A single A4 page profile,
  • An authorisation form; and
  • A nomination deposit of $80

Nomination packages will be available from the Shire of Toodyay Administration Centre in the lead up to Local Government elections.

Postal Voting

If you are unable to attend on Election Day and would like to submit an application for a postal vote then please complete Form 12 Application for Postal Voting Papers.